The Matrix Urban Designers and Architects
Back to Portfolio

Restoration of Pearson Conservatory

Opened in 1882 in St. George’s Park, Port Elizabeth, the conservatory is over 60 years old and is a Grade 2 listed building. The Pearson Conservatory is the first of three such conservatories brought to South Africa from England in the 19th century. The restoration work thus required extreme sensitivity to see the Victorian building, saved from demolition in the 1970’s, restored to its original state. The longevity of the building was a key concept in the refurbishment using galvanised steel components to replace the extensive amount of timber found to be in a state of disrepair. Colour selections and profile replication were based on historical research from The Herald newspaper dated 13 September 1882, the day after the opening of the conservatory. The revival of this building as an attraction in St. Georges Park contributed to the rich built heritage in the city of Port Elizabeth. Renovation work began in 2009 and was completed in 2011

Project Facts

Value:R5.5 million
Client:Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality
Location:Port Elizabeth
Awards:ECIA Award of Merit 2011 SAIA Award of Merit 2012
Date of Project:2011
Design Team:Albrecht Herholdt, Gianni Geminiani